Sunday, July 29, 2007

Quotes

I know the world is more than sound bites. I know that sometimes wisdom comes from a thousand words and not from little snippets. However, here are some of my favor quotes.

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. John Adams(1735 - 1826)

Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order. John Adams

I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for something else of which they are only a kind of a copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that other country and to help others to do the same." - C. S. Lewis

I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. C. S. Lewis


God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing. C. S. Lewis

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. C. S. Lewis

A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. C. S. Lewis

The trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. C. S. Lewis

This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people. C. S. Lewis

We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be. C.S. Lewis

Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.
C. S. Lewis

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one. C. S. Lewis

Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. Aesop

We have too many high-sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. Abigail Adams.

It isn't that they can't see the solution. It is that they can't see the problem.
G. K. Chesterton

To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it.
G. K. Chesterton


If there were no God, there would be no Atheists. G. K. Chesterton

No comments: